WHY CHOOSE RIVER POINT – MAGNIFICENT LAKE LOCATION
Expert Ely outfitter, River Point Outfitting Co. is strategically located on its own private peninsula on the southeastern edge of the Boundary Waters, just 8.5 miles southeast of Ely, Minnesota on Hwy #1, a short 10-minute drive from downtown Ely. Ely Outfitters™ is River Point….your best choice in outfitters.
“Tradition of Outfitting Excellence” Since 1944
LOCATION – LOCATION – LOCATION
“River Point Outfitting Co., Ely Outfitters™ is sited on Birch Lake at the bend where the South Kawishiwi River enters the lake…Much of 7000 acre Birch Lake is within the Superior National Forest, and the Kawishiwi River flows into the BWCA…With a water highway into the Boundary Waters wilderness, River Point seems a practical location…”
-Boundary Waters Journal Magazine.
Where is River Point?
- River Point, a skilled Ely outfitter, gives you a unique water-based location to begin your trip.
- River Point is the only one of the Ely Minnesota outfitters in the Ely area located on its own private, secluded wilderness peninsula with a mile of shoreline providing “doorstep” water access to and from the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
- River Point’s facility headquarters is lakefront and immediately you will begin to feel the wilderness atmosphere envelope you, as you start to unwind and breathe in the fresh pine-scented air
- River Point has the strategic distinction of being the BWCA outfitter in Ely, Minnesota located on Birch Lake and the South Kawishiwi River, entry point #32–a premier and pristine waterway into the Boundary Waters. And, adjacent to the coveted entry point #33, Little Gabbro Lake.
- River Point Outfitting Co., Ely Outfitters™ is the only Boundary Waters canoe trips outfitters with direct paddle access to and from eleven entry points in the Ely/Isabella area. River Point Map
Why Choose River Point? Magnificent private peninsula at the doorstep of the Boundary Waters!
At River Point Outfitting Co., we specialize in being your Ely outfitter for trips on the:
- South Kawishiwi River
- Little Gabbro Lake
- Farm Lake
- Lake One chain of lakes
- Snowbank Lake
- North Kawishiwi River
- Island River
- Isabella Lake
- Isabella Lake
- Little Isabella River
- Snake River
- Hog Creek
- Kawishiwi Lake
You may enter the Boundary Waters from any of these entry points and paddle downstream back to River Point, making it the best choice for your “Paddle the Quiet Side”® Boundary Waters canoe trip and your Ely Minnesota outfitter.
River Point’s secluded water-based location also allows flexibility in servicing all other Ely area entrance points including:
- Little Indian Sioux River-North
- Stuart River
- Moose Portage River North
- Mudro Lake
- Moose Lake
- South Hegman Lake
- Fall Lake
- Wood Lake
- Crab Lake
Comfortable River Point van transport to and from almost all entry points is complimentary for completely outfitted groups.
Why Choose River Point? Service to all Ely area entry points!
National Press Recognition
River Point Outfitting Co.’s tradition of excellence since 1944 as one of the finest Ely Outfitters™ has won the approval and recommendation of major national press publications such as:
- Travel + Leisure magazine
- Good Housekeeping magazine
- Midwest Living magazine
- Germany’s Lufthansa magazine
- The Boundary Waters Journal
- Outside Traveler Magazine: Boundary Waters Wolf Watch article
- Midwest Living Magazine showcased the “Taste of the North Woods” package
- CBS Early Show*
*Only Ely, MN outfitter to be featured on national TV for its outstanding canoe trips, including guided canoe trips.
National Press recognition has to be earned. Ely, MN outfitter, River Point Outfitting Co. is proud to be recognized by so many national and international magazines and writers.
Why Choose River Point? Notable national press recognition!
Professional Family Tradition of Service
River Point Outfitting Company is family-owned and operated under the same “Koschak” family name since 1944, and excellent service is second nature. Longevity like this doesn’t occur very often, but when a family LOVES what they do, it can happen. River Point is your BWCA expert outfitter.
Personal owner attention geared to the enjoyment and satisfaction of your wilderness vacation is always upper most in our minds and is the answer to why choose River Point. Dedicated to covering every detail of your trip, your Ely outfitter, River Point Outfitting Co., will be in tune with your needs.
- From the initial interaction you will discover honest, forthright answers are offered to your questions. Time to cover the details of your trip with courteous and attentive professional dialogue occurs.
- Happy, motivated staff make for a great team effort to welcome and educate all canoeing guests so they have successful Boundary Waters canoe trips.
- Happy and satisfied return guests who enjoyed their River Point experience from beginning to end.
Why Choose River Point? The owners are always on site and ready to help!
Trip Routing & Orientation Session
- When you arrive at River Point your party can decide on what route you wish to use from the permit entry point reserved. It may take a hour or so for staff to orientate you to the specifics of your route and to go over everything in detail on large scale maps.
- A review of the portages, campsites, cooking techniques, how to pitch a tent, how to find dry firewood, good fishing holes, wildlife you are likely to see, and much more is discussed.
- Whether you are a photographer, fisher person, birdwatcher, backpacker, wildlife adventurer, historian, or just want the peace and quiet of the Boundary Waters, the planning session continues until most everything has been covered. Ely Outfitters™ is the way to go!
Value Rates and Discounts
- With the Comfort Plus™ Complete Outfitting Package, featuring kevlar canoes and many creature comforts for Boundary Waters canoe trip travel, you will surely travel in comfort.
- The terrific Family Super Saver Package provides, as Good Housekeeping Magazine says, “the best canoeing vacation bargain” for mom, dad, youth and children age 17 and under.
- Repeat guest discounts, a discounted rate for seniors, 63 and older, spring and fall discounts, military “thank you” gift certificates, and special group pricing for non-profit youth organizations are offered.
Ely outfitter, River Point Outfitting Co. excels in giving your value rates for your Ely, Minnesota outfitters canoe trip.
Why choose River Point? Great rates, great discounts.
Click the links below for rate and package information:
Lodging and Services of River Point Resort
River Point Resort shares the mile of scenic shoreline on a private wilderness peninsula and is adjacent to the River Point Outfitting Co. base. The perfect wilderness resort vacation. You may sample the vast Boundary Waters BWCA by being outfitted for canoe camping for a few days and also enjoy lodging options at River Point Resort for a few days.
- A resort vacation for the first part of your trip is a good idea followed by the canoe trip. This allows for time to acclimate and to orientate you for your Boundary Waters adventure. You may also want to stay a night or two after the canoe trip.
- This option also works well with some members of the group wishing to canoe/camp in the Boundary Waters, and other members wishing to have a resort vacation near Ely, Minnesota. With River Point, you can have both options for your group. Either choice provides additional time to reconnect with family, friends, and nature!
Why choose River Point? For amazing lodging choices right on the lake!
Your Ely Outfitters™ and their friendly staff can help with anything.
River Point’s secluded northern Minnesota lakefront wilderness resort setting allows you to become familiar with handling a canoe, including paddling and portaging techniques, then get down to the lake and do some practicing. Ely, MN canoe opportunities right at lake-based River Point Outfitting Co.
Why choose River Point? Use the canoe for free to practice up on your paddling skills for your canoe trip.
FREE FREE FREE!
Ely Outfitters™ guests have full access to River Point Resort facilities and amenities. Use of canoes, paddle boats, paddle boards, “sit-on-top” kayaks. Swim at the two beaches with floating island rafts, and enjoy hiking the “Trail of Reflections.”
Why choose River Point Outfitting Co? There tons of things to do the day before the canoe trip starts, and they’re complimentary.
Lodging and Shower Options:
- Lakefront Tent Camping Area, with bathroom facilities adjacent, is available at $12/night per person the night before the canoe trip. Pitch your own tent without a fee. Want RPO to pitch tents for your group? $22 for use of the Tent Camping Area and to have RPO tents pitched and ready for you. (This lodging option generally available only for Non-Profit Youth Canoe Trips.)
- Private Bunkhouse Lodging with private entrances and twin beds are available at $19 per night per person.
- Showers in the new custom ceramic tile shower houses and restroom facility are complimentary before and after the canoe trip for completely outfitted guests. Partial outfitted guests renting a canoe may enjoy a complimentary shower after the canoe trip.
NEW Lodging Option at Ely Outfitters™
Beautiful, spacious one-bedroom chalets; full kitchens with electric appliances, including dishwasher, airy, light-filled living room and comfortable furnishings with designer touches, plus beautiful ceramic bath with shower. Use your private sundeck to enjoy the lake and forest views. Save by dining-in, instead of at a restaurant.
- You may also select lakefront lodging in one of River Point’s villas.
Why Choose River Point? Great lodging choices from more rustic lakefront to high comfort?
Completely outfitted groups renting overnight accommodations the night before the canoe trip are provided with a fresh complimentary breakfast the morning the trip begins or abundant breakfast basket for quicker start canoe trips.
Why choose River Point? Enjoy breakfast for free when renting lodging the night prior…another great reason to select River Point as you Ely outfitter.
- Safe on-site parking without fee.
- Guest Laundry
- Bait & Tackle shop, with proven Boundary Waters outfitter lures and bait
- Wolf Den Gift Shop offering authentic North Country gifts, souvenirs and camping necessities.
- Wildwood Lodge with a snack and beverage bar, serving beer, soda, ice cream, pizza, and more.
Why Choose River Point? You can depend on River Point’s years of wilderness experience, expert advice, and the “Paddle the Quiet Side®” location.