Permit Handling Fee:
River Point charges a $8 handling fee to secure the permit for you when selecting a completely outfitted trip; $11 for a partially outfitted trip.
U.S.F.S. Permit Fee
- $6 per permit group
- Group Leader (permit holders) must have a valid email address. All party members names are required on the USFS permit.
U.S.F.S. User Fees
Apply to all BWCA overnight visitors.
- Adult: $16
- Youth 0-17: $8
- Interagency Senior Access Pass: $10
TRAVEL PERMIT INFORMATION FOR BWCA
A quota system that allows only a specific number of people into the Boundary Waters each day at each entry point is in effect, and weekend permits are more popular.
Nine people are allowed per permit with a maximum of 4 canoes. Larger groups will need additional permits and must camp at more than one campsite.
To increase the chance of securing a permit, please be flexible by selecting more than one starting date and entry point. You need not know what entry point to choose. Just fill in the information on the reservation contract form indicating your experience and skill level.
YOUR RESERVATION SHOULD BE MADE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
FOR US TO SECURE YOUR PERMIT!
- Call 1.218.365.6604 to discuss canoe trip options and to make a phone reservation
- For Complete Packages, fill out the Reservation Form and the Menu Planner
- For Partial Outfitting Packages fill out:
Your credit card will be debited upon receipt for payment of the USFS Travel Permit by Recreation.Gov. You will receive an email verification letter and receipt from Recreation.Gov for the purchase of your permit.
Guest Services: 1-218-365-6625
COMPLETE OUTFITTING: Deposit of $150 per person
PARTIAL OUTFITTING (Order Form): Deposit of $50-$100 per person (dependent upon cost of outfitting requested)
- Deposit/prepayment on Complete and Partial Outfitting canoe trips are guaranteed and nonrefundable. Deposit may be paid with Visa, M/C, Discover, or American Express credit card. Your credit card will be debited upon receipt.
- Credit card is required for payment of the necessary US Forest Service Travel Permit and User Fees.
- Bunkhouse, Cabin, Chalet, or Villa Resort Lodging reservations are prepaid prior to arrival date.
- Contact River Point Outfitting Co. at 1.218-365-6604 to remit your Visa, M/C, Discover, or American Express credit card number.
Final Payment Information
Final balance of payment due upon registration and payable with Cash or Bank Cashier’s Check.
- Credit card payment is accepted for prepayment on “last minute” reservations made just a few days prior to arrival.
- Final payment with credit card is acceptable at Registration. However, RPO outfitting rates are structured using the two methods indicated for final payment, thereby retaining palatable rates due to not having to pass credit card company’s “convenience fees” onto our customers. If you wish to remit payment with your credit card, that is totally acceptable, however, the 5% “convenience fees” will be absorbed by you.
- Personal or business check accepted for final payment only if received 20 days or more prior to arrival date.
- Personal checks are not accepted at Registration.
- Additional persons joining your party at the time of Registration will be charged accordingly.
- Organized Non-Profit Youth Groups must remit final payment in advance of arrival with an Organizational check. Canoe trips reserved as gifts require a prepayment with personal or business check.
A Reservation Confirmation with itemized invoice will be emailed prior to arrival at RPO.
All rates subject to a 7.375 % MN sales tax. Lodging, including cabins, villas, chalets, and bunkhouses subject to 4% lodging tax and 6% resort fee.
Fishing licenses, USFS Permit and User Fees are not included in the outfitting rates.
GUIDE GRATUITIES are generally 15-20% of the package rate and appreciated and discretionary. Other outfitting staff gratuities are encouraged.
Rates are subject to change without notice.
A repacking charge of $50 will be incurred if your party size decreases from the original reservation and notification by e-mail has not been received by RPO at least 21 days prior to date canoe trip starts. Please advise us well in advance of arrival if your party size increases.
Repacking charge applies to all last-minute decrease in party size. NO EXCEPTIONS Repacking requires additional staff time to unpack all pack sacks, and then repack them once again–in most cases, new canoe assignments, if available, must also be made. Change in canoe assignment is subject to availability at the time of your change in plans.
Cancellations More Than 30 Days Prior to the Trip Arrival Date
In the event of Cancellation of the Canoe Trip Reservation, deposit fees and prepayments are nonrefundable. However, if written notice is received by RPO more than 30 days prior to the Arrival/Check In date, the canoe trip may be rescheduled for another date this season or next year. Money on account applicable to the canoe trip (packages, equipment, canoes, food, transport fees, etc.) would be transferable to the new trip date for the same number of persons, length of trip, and package reserved as the cancelled reservation.
Cancellations Less Than 30 Days Prior to the Trip Arrival Date
A Cancellation of a reservation occurring less than 30 days prior to the Arrival/Check In date, or in the case of a “no-show” reservation, or if the cancellation occurs on the “start date” of the trip, or just prior to it, the party leader is financially responsible for the entire balance of payment due as indicated in the Confirmation. Leader will be expected to remit payment immediately with Visa, M/C, Discover, Amex for the final amount due of the reservation and absorb the 5% “convenience fees” assessed by the card company. This guideline reflects the significant burden of last-minute cancellations on staff.
In any of these situations, River Point Outfitting Co. is under no obligation to refund deposit and/or prepayment of money on account.
EXCEPTION: Deposit or prepayment of resort lodging (vacation homes, villas, chalets, bunkhouses, tent camping) are nonrefundable and nontransferable to a new trip date. If full prepayment of the lodging portion of the trip was not secured in advance, any money on account from the canoe trip portion of the combination trip, which is being cancelled, will be applied to the balance due on the lodging portion of the trip.
- Permit handling fee is nonrefundable and nontransferable
- USFS Travel Permit is nonrefundable and nontransferable
Deposits/prepayments from individuals within a Group who cancel out of the trip are nonrefundable and are not applicable to the rest of the Group.
Early Returns and Late Arrivals
There are no refunds for canoe trips that arrive early, or end early, for canoes and/or equipment returned early, or for any unused food, transportation, or accommodations that were reserved.
A Gasoline Surcharge applies on van transport shuttles to and from the entry/exit point and is dependent upon gas prices and distance of an entry/exit point from River Point Outfitting Co. Call or email for current pricing.
Loss and Damage
Renter is financially responsible for any loss or damage to canoes or rental equipment. Normal wear and tear acceptable.
River Point Resort, Inc. & Outfitting Co., Inc. assumes no responsibility for accidents, wrongful death caused by negligence or any other cause, personal injuries of any kind, property damage or loss of vehicles or watercraft, nor is RPO responsible for loss or damage to personal valuables.
River Point Resort, Inc & Outfitting Co. owners, management and staff make every reasonable effort to serve guests safely, but assume no responsibility or liability for any hazard associated with these trips or for the choices and/or decisions made regarding the route or any facet of the canoe trip your group makes either prior to the start of the trip or during it. Party Leader and group are responsible for themselves and the decisions made during the trip, and for any loss or damage to equipment and canoes, without exception, including damage or loss due to an “act of Mother Nature.”
River Point Resort, Inc. & Outfitting Company is not liable for delays, cancellation, or interruption of a trip caused by air carriers, taxi service, inclement weather, change of plans for whatever the reason, lost or delayed baggage, disease, medical reasons, or other reasons.
Travel insurance is available, and may protect you against circumstances that may cause you to interrupt, delay, or cancel your trip. River Point Outfitting Co. does not sell travel insurance, is not affiliated with any company, nor does it receive compensation of any kind. However, we do recommend travel insurance companies for you to evaluate and for your peace of mind. Two companies are:
- Travel Guard, Stevens Point, WI, 1-800-826-1300; www.travelguard.com
- Access America, Richmond, VA, 1-800-284-8300
We strongly advise arrival in Ely the day prior to the start of your canoe trip.
We at River Point know how very important your vacation is to you, and the amount of time, effort, and money you invest in it. We hope this very detailed information will indicate how dedicated we are to truly being…your vacation specialists!
Steve, Jane, & James Koschak
A Tradition of Outfitting Excellence™