Boundary Waters Transport Shuttles | River Point
Boundary Waters transport shuttles are provided for completely outfitted canoe groups of River Point Outfitting Co. to and from most of the Ely area entry points as a part of their Boundary Waters BWCA canoe trip package. A small transport fee is assessed for just five of the 20+ entry/exit points in the Ely area for guests of River Point Outfitting Co. that have reserved a completely outfitted package, such as the Comfort Plus™ Complete Package. A transport van gas surcharge is assessed on all transports.
Partially Outfitted canoe groups may want to secure the services of River Point Outfitting Co. to provide entry point Boundary Waters transport shuttles on the first day of the Boundary Waters canoe trip, as well as exit point van transport back to River Point. There are fees assessed to Partially Outfitted groups who desire this service.
Safe onsite parking for your vehicle while on the canoe trip. No worries!
Want to Paddle Back?
A great option due to River Point’s strategic water-based location is to paddle back to River Point from 11 of the Ely area BWCA entry points and exit points with the help of a gentle downstream current on the South Kawishiwi River, entry point #32. River Point’s location is ideal for those wishing to feel a sense of accomplishment when “paddlin’ back”.
Van Rates are per vehicle for transport each way per permit group.
Partial Outfitting Special Savings: When the Partial Outfitting equipment charges total a minimum group trip amount of $300 the following Boundary Waters transport shuttles fee applies. If your group’s total equipment rental charges do not meet the $300 minimum, the partial outfitting transport fees listed are doubled. Services such as trip routing or reserving lodging prior to or after the canoe trip do not qualify as an equipment expense. We reserve the right to not offer transport to some entry points with the rental of only one canoe.
Rates indicated are One-Way Transport per permit group.
|Destination||Complete Outfitting||Partial Outfitting|
|South Kawishiwi River||$10||$20|
|North Kawishiwi River||$25||$35|
|Fall Lake Campground||$25||$35|
|Moose River Portage North||$60||$95|
|Moose River South||$60||$95|
|Little Indian Sioux||$65||$105|
|Burntside Lake (Crab)||$20||$35|
|Little Isabella River||$30||$60|
|Ely Municipal Airport to and from River Point between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm daily: $25 per shuttle each way|
- Transport fees indicated above are for the van with driver
- Gasoline surcharge is additional and applies on all transports, except Ely Airport. Call or email for current rates for specific entry/exit points
- River Point van service is for guests renting packages/equipment. If a permit group is made up of persons renting RPO equipment the rates indicated apply. If the same permit group has other members who bring all their own equipment and canoes and do not rent a minimum of one canoe per two persons from RPO, a fee of $10/person per transport applies
- With groups made up of both complete and partial outfitting the Entry/Exit Point transport rate is based upon the Partial Outfitting Transport Rate
- Fees indicated are for one-way transport per permit group. “A Transportation Only” option is not offered. A minimum of one canoe rental is required to offer a transport shuttle.
- Rates subject to change
Towboat transport shuttles are water transport in the Boundary Waters with a motorized boat for you and your equipment. This Boundary Waters transport shuttles service saves you paddling time by allowing your group to move further into the interior of the wilderness on your first travel day from our Ely, Minnesota base. However, it is almost exclusively used with only the Moose Lake entry point for Boundary Waters canoe trips.
Prices are one-way per person. Rates subject to change without notice.
Entry Point Cost
- Ensign* – $31
- Indian Portage* – $31
- Prairie Portage* – $31
- Washington Island** – $75
- Back Bay Portage** – $85
- River Point towboat service is for guests renting partial or complete outfitting packages and equipment only.
*2 Person Minimum
**3 person minimum
Transportation by van to and from other entry points not indicated is available with a minimum of 3 persons. Please call for rate information.