Boundary Waters Transport Shuttles | River Point
Boundary Waters transport shuttles are provided for completely outfitted canoe groups of River Point Outfitting Co. to and from most of the Ely area entry points as a part of their Boundary Waters BWCA canoe trip package. A small transport fee is assessed for just five of the 20+ entry/exit points in the Ely area for guests of River Point Outfitting Co. that have reserved a completely outfitted package, such as the Comfort Plus™ Complete Package. A transport van gas surcharge is assessed on all transports.
Partially Outfitted canoe groups may want to secure the services of River Point Outfitting Co. to provide entry point Boundary Waters transport shuttles on the first day of the Boundary Waters canoe trip, as well as exit point van transport back to River Point. There are fees assessed to Partially Outfitted groups who desire this service.
Safe onsite parking for your vehicle while on the canoe trip. No worries!
Want to Paddle Back?
A great option due to River Point’s strategic water-based location is to paddle back to River Point from 11 of the Ely area BWCA entry points and exit points with the help of a gentle downstream current on the South Kawishiwi River, entry point #32. River Point’s location is ideal for those wishing to feel a sense of accomplishment when “paddlin’ back”.
Van Rates are per vehicle for transport each way per permit group.
Partial Outfitting Special Savings: When the Partial Outfitting costs total a minimum group trip amount of $200, the following Boundary Waters transport shuttles fee applies. If your group’s total rental does not meet the $200 minimum, the partial outfitting transport fees listed are doubled.
Meeting the minimum $200 requirement is easy. For example, renting two aluminum canoes for a 5-day trip meets the minimum.
Rates indicated are One-Way Transport per permit group
|Destination||Complete Outfitting||Partial Outfitting|
|Moose River Portage North||$50||$95|
|Moose River South||$50||$95|
|Burntside Lake (Crab)||Free||$25|
|Little Isabella River||Free||$65|
|Fall Lake Campground||Free||$30|
|Ely Municipal Airport complimentary shuttle to and from River Point between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm daily|
- Transport fees indicated above are for the van with driver.
- Gasoline surcharge is additional, and applies on all transports, except Ely Airport. Call or email for current rates for specific entry/exit points.
- River Point van service is for guests renting packages/equipment. If a permit group is made up of persons renting RPO equipment, the rates indicated apply. If the same permit group has other members who bring all their own equipment and canoes, and do not rent a minimum of one canoe from RPO, a fee of $10/person per transport applies.
- Delta Airlines provides daily flight service to Mpls./St. Paul, Duluth, and Hibbing.
- United Airlines provides daily flight service to Mpls./St. Paul and Duluth International Airports.
- Rates subject to change
*Fees indicated are for one-way transport per permit group.
Towboat transport shuttles are water transport in the Boundary Waters with a motorized boat for you and your equipment. This Boundary Waters transport shuttles service saves you paddling time by allowing your group to move further into the interior of the wilderness on your first travel day from our Ely, Minnesota base. However, it is almost exclusively used with only the Moose Lake entry point for Boundary Waters canoe trips.
Prices are one-way per person. Rates subject to change without notice.
Entry Point Cost
- Ensign* – $26
- Indian Portage* – $28
- Prairie Portage* – $28
- Washington Island** – $65
- Back Bay Portage** – $75
- River Point towboat service is for guests renting partial or complete outfitting packages and equipment only.
*2 Person Minimum
**3 person minimum
Transportation by van to and from other entry points not indicated is available with a minimum of 3 persons. Please call for rate information. Van gas surcharge may apply dependent upon gas prices.