EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES 2022 – NOW HIRING
Looking For Exciting Employment in the Beauty of the Wilderness of Northern Minnesota?
Look no further than River Point Outfitting Co. & Resort located in the Superior National Forest and just four paddle miles to the famous Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for employment opportunities.
River Point is located on a magnificent, private wilderness peninsula with over a mile of shoreline bordered by 20-mile long Birch Lake and the South Kawishiwi River with direct water access to the BWCA– a 12 minute drive from downtown Ely, Minnesota, and an hours drive from the North Shore of Lake Superior/Two Harbors, MN. Our wilderness setting under a canopy of birch and pine and a star studded sky is rewarding for those seeking to work in the great outdoors of northern Minnesota.
At River Point we are proud of the high quality of service provided to our guests and a professional and customer-friendly, happy atmosphere is very evident at our facility. Prospective employees must be customer-focused, friendly, helpful, and positive. Supporting and working with co-workers in a “team approach” is important and vital to the guest’s overall enjoyment of their “North Woods” vacation. Plus, you’ll have fun at the same time.
The two qualities we most look for in a potential employee are a positive, cheerful attitude and the ability to be flexible no matter what the task may be or how the day unfolds.
The 2022 “open” season runs from May 13 through October 1. Staff is also needed to assist with the “opening-up” and the “shut-down” of the facility in early May and through the first part of October. It is important that you know your available start date and ending date of employment when you submit an Application for Employment. However, we always work with you to determine a positive “start” and “ending” date dependent upon school/college schedules and other needs and commitments you may. Perhaps, you are not able to begin your employment until the end of May or, perhaps, you need to end your employment by the end of August. Both of these situations would be completely acceptable for employment at River Point.
Seasonal full-time positions for River Point Outfitting Co. (canoe trip headquarters), and for the River Point Resort facility:
Canoe Outfitting Staff & Resort Facilities Maintenance Staff: Varied shifts.
- Canoe Outfitting Staff: Varied shifts. Greeting guests. Providing Trip Orientation and Routing Sessions with guests prior to their canoe trips Due to high guest interaction, an outgoing personality is a huge plus in this task, and knowledge of canoeing/camping/fishing techniques is beneficial. Training will occur for employees to gain knowledge of the various canoeing routes. Responsibilities include detailed packing and unpacking gear for trips, packing fresh and freeze-dried food into food packs according to customer menu choices; keeping inventory of perishables and consumables; provide ordering of perishables and consumables to management; maintenance of equipment and canoes, canoe repair, washing of packs, life jackets, sleeping bags and other gear, and daily tiding and general cleaning of the outfitting base and guest bathrooms. Other tasks include loading/unloading canoes on and off vans, loading/unloading gear and packs and driving River Point’s vans to and from the various entry/exit points in the wilderness. Assisting guests with unloading and loading of equipment at the landings. Must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record, and be able to pass a 75 lb lift test.
- Canoe Outfitting Guides: (Positions Filled) Provide guided day trips into the Boundary Waters with a shore lunch. Focus of the day trip may be on fishing, and if so, then a practical knowledge of how to catch and clean fish is necessary. River Point does encourage “catch and release”. Or, the focus of the day trip may simply be to enjoy the amazing scenery, the peacefulness of the wilderness, the wildlife, and for photography. Prior to being a guide, one must be familiar with the various entry points and routes near River Point and will need to devote time in learning by going on trips on your days off, as well as with other staff who you will “shadow.” Especially important is being able to easily converse with the guests and to have a working knowledge of the Boundary Waters to share with them. Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record to be able to drive company vehicles. Ability to pass a 75 lb lift test. Persons employed for the Canoe Outfitting and Resort Maintenance employment opportunities will perform duties and responsibilities in both areas.
- Resort Facilities Maintenance Staff: Varied shifts. Responsible for daily upkeep and general cleanliness of marina area, Bait and Tackle Shop and two fish cleaning facilities. Dispense gas for boats and motors. Maintain an accurate, neat guest sales charge book, cleaning and servicing boats and motors, locators, trolling motors, and helping guests with fishing information. Additional duties include daily trash pick-up, fish cans drop-off, wood chopping, wood/kindling delivery to units, minor repairs of waterfront and maintenance equipment, performing minor repairs in and around lodging accommodations, mowing and raking of lawn, watering garden plants, sweeping walk-ways and dock area, some limited brush and limb removal, and other duties, as needed. Previous boat handling experience and basic outboard maintenance knowledge is desirable. Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record to be able to drive company vehicles. Ability to pass a 75 lb lift test. Persons employed for the Canoe Outfitting and Resort Maintenance employment opportunities will perform duties and responsibilities in both areas.
- Birch Lake Boat and Motor Guides: (Positions Filled) Provide guided day trips on Birch Lake and the South Kawishiwi River for walleye, northern pike, small mouth bass, and pan fish. May be either a 4-hour, 6-hour, or 8-hour day trip. Shore lunch of fresh fish is an option cooked over the open fire on the 8-hour day trip. “Catch and release” is encouraged. Prior to being a River Point guide, one must be familiar with the bodies of water to be fished on with actual experience and exploration “on your own.” One must spend the time learning the lake and river system, so specifics are known, such as major rocks and reefs, pertinent fishing bays, etc. Shadowing other guides will be provided, but individual effort and passion for fishing are necessary. Proper handling and maintenance of the guide boat and motor is essential. Equally important is the personality of a guide. Congeniality, professionalism, being able to converse with guests and have a working knowledge of the wilderness area, its wildlife, birds, topography, geology and more is helpful when conversing. Must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record, and able to pass a 75 lb lift test.
Housekeeping Staff Staff: Varied shifts as part of a team of housekeepers and lodge staff. Some employees may perform housekeeping and lodge duties; some may perform only housekeeping duties. For those seeking credits and/or a degree in Hospitality and Management, knowing and having had experience relative to providing the most important areas in guest comfort is essential. Your experience at River Point will provide an effective foundation for future employment opportunities in this field, and it’s all done in an upbeat fun setting at the lake. And, for anyone seeking future employment in any line of work the background knowledge learned from performing various tasks in this area is invaluable
- Housekeeping Staff: Responsibilities include housekeeping of rental accommodations, main lodge, offices, bunkhouses. Dependability, being punctual and timely and having a sense for the details is essential. A good conscientious work ethic with pride in cleanliness is valued. Shadowing other staff persons will occur. Must also be self-directed since some housekeeping will occur on an individual basis. Responsible for replenishing cleaning supplies at the end of the housekeeping shift, and responsible for cleaning of the equipment (vacuums, etc.) used in housekeeping. Must have a valid DL with good driving record to be able to drive company vehicles.
- Wildwood Lodge Staff: Varied shifts. Lodge is typically open from 9:30 am-5:00 pm dependent upon demand. Easy cash register transactions and charges for guests occur in the gift shop. Ability to manage effectively the guest charge book and to keep store displays stocked, clean and orderly. Maintain a clean lodge and public bathroom facilities; assist guests with general questions, directions, sign-ups for programs, etc.; follow the “opening” and “closing” procedures for the lodge. Being cheerful and energetic when assisting guests and customers is appreciated. Must be self-directive and look for tasks to complete in the supervision of the Lodge. Training will occur for this task and others tasks.
- Office Staff: Varied shifts. Assisting in routine and specialized office tasks. Pleasant phone skills, and basic computer skills are needed. Instruction will be offered. Other responsibilities include greeting guests, check-in and check-out procedures, providing tours of the facility, operating copy machines, creating signage, bulletins for guests, etc. Note that this area overlaps with doing other tasks, such as housekeeping, to create a full time job.
- Office/Social Media & Website Staff: Varied shifts. Being familiar with Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, WordPress, etc. is great. A degree in Communications or a similar field while certainly not mandatory is appreciated. Knowledge of capturing onsite video and images with a Go Pro (which is available) to create potential YouTube videos reflective of resorting and canoe outfitting would be very cool. Please advise if you have this skill set. Note that this area overlaps with doing other tasks, such as housekeeping, to create a full time job.
- Gardening/Grounds-keeping Staff: Varied shifts; full time when combined with other positions. Responsible for planting, fertilizing, watering, bush/hedge trimming, weed abatement, and mowing lawn. Knowledge of tree removal is helpful. Must have a valid driver’s license with good driving record and must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
You may be hired for a position, but often, there is overlapping between the duties that each Team Member at River Point performs. For example, it is not unusual for a Canoe Outfitting/Resort Maintenance Staff person to perform housekeeping duties, particularly on Saturdays which is the typical resort industry “turn-over” day, as well as the duties described in the category for canoe outfitting/resort maintenance. That is the nature of resorting and canoe outfitting.
Between the resort and outfitting businesses, River Point employs from 8-10 team members who come from many different cities and states, and even abroad, to serve several thousand customers during the season. The majority of staff are seasonal full-time team members; a limited few are part-time.
We all work together, and a positive attitude and flexibility, are important aspects of what we require in an employee. You will receive cross training for most positions at the River Point operation, and will be expected to help out where and when it is needed. You must be willing if the need arises to perform tasks in other positions. This will provide you with variety in your daily routine regarding the tasks you will perform. We look for versatility in our employees and build upon the strengths of each person and all pitch in to get the necessary tasks done.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive hourly wage
- Potential subsidized housing in Ely, MN, just 8. 5 miles from River Point just outside of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, the most visited Wilderness area in the US. (also, see “Housing” below)
- Working and playing in the wonderful beauty of the great outdoors of northern Minnesota in the Superior National Forest surrounding River Point Outfitting Co. with direct paddle access to the BWCA. Fabulous clean air, granite cliffs, hiking the River Point “Trail of Reflections”, fishing, swimming, and just plain having a great time!
- FREE use of waterfront equipment (canoes, kayaks, 16′ boats, 9.9 and 15 hp motors) on days off or after work hours. Enjoy the two mile long Trail of Reflections and the two swim beaches, the new sauna, and garden shower, along with three fire pits for marshmallows roasts and evening fun.
- Benefit of working in a close-knit team atmosphere with other employees who have similar interests who are dedicated to creating amazing wilderness paddling adventures for guests from all over the US and abroad while protecting the Boundary Waters Wilderness for future generations.
- Employee discount on clothing and gift items from the Wolf Den Gift Shop. Great shopping for Mother’s and Father’s Day and birthday gifts, and just “for fun.”
- Benefit of networking with hundreds of guests for future employment contacts and other endeavors.
Limited onsite housing. However, River Point will happily help and make suggestions for housing options in the Ely area. Ely is just a short 12 minute drive (8.5 miles on blacktop highway) from River Point and provides easy access to grocery stores, banks, pharmacy, etc.
It is advisable that applicants have their own vehicle.
The first few days of your new job will include an in-depth orientation to many facets of what you will be doing. Following the initial orientation process you will shadow another employee as part of this on-the-job training for some time. Learning new aspects of your job will occur very quickly as it is our goal to acclimate you to your surroundings and responsibilities as quickly as possible.
Each employee is expected to purchase and wear a River Point Resort & Outfitting Co. staff shirt. If you wear a hat it must be a River Point hat when on duty. Shirts and hat are available for purchase at a discounted price from a large selection at River Point’s Wolf Den Gift Shop. The River Point shirt must be clean, neat, and worn when on-duty. Jeans, shorts, pants, slacks, capri pants, and leggings are great.
Clothing must be clean, neat, without tears, holes, ragged edges, etc. River Point is a service business. It is expected that employees are showered, well-groomed, clean, and dressed neatly. Laundromats are available at River Point for a fee, as well as in Ely.
If you would like to spend your spring, summer, and early fall in the awesome beauty of the North Woods of Minnesota then employment at River Point may be for you!
Thank you for your interest in joining the River Point team!
Note: In addition to submitting the following application, you MUST send a brief letter of introduction and a copy of your resume to River Point via e-mail at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you prefer, you may send the application and resume via snail mail to:
PO Box 397
Ely, MN 55731
- Interested applicants should send the following materials to River Point via email to email@example.com or snail mail to: PO Box 397, Ely, MN 55731
- your resume (need not be formal)
- brief letter of introduction ( at least two paragraphs of information (including US mailing address)
- Application for Employment
Please submit the first two requested items listed above, and then fill out an application for employment (below).
- Applications are processed as they are received. A subsequent personal interview and simply “time to talk” will be scheduled upon receipt of the Application for Employment. Effort to make arrangements for a personal interview at our site is great. However, phone interviews totally acceptable if an “in-person” interview is not feasible.
- If you are in Ely, please call to set up an appointment to receive an Application for Employment and for a personal interview.
- If a position is offered, the applicant will be notified in person, by phone or by email. We request that the applicant indicate to River Point that they WILL or WILL NOT accept the employment offer within two days of their receipt of an offer. Thank you.