Employment Opportunities 2018 - Now Hiring
Looking For Exciting Employment in the Beauty of the Wilderness of Northern Minnesota?
Look no further than River Point Resort & Outfitting Co. located in the Superior National Forest and directly adjacent to the famous Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for employment opportunities.
River Point is located on a private wilderness peninsula with over a mile of shoreline bordered by Birch Lake and the South Kawishiwi River with direct water access to the BWCA-- a 10 minute drive from downtown Ely, Minnesota, and an hours drive from the North Shore of Lake Superior/Two Harbors, MN. Our wilderness setting is rewarding for those seeking to work in the great outdoors.
At River Point we are proud of the high quality of service provided to our guests, and a professional and customer-friendly atmosphere is very evident at our facility. We are seeking employees that are customer-focused, friendly, helpful, and positive. Supporting and working with co-workers in a fun and exciting "team approach" is important and vital to the guest's overall enjoyment of their "North Woods" vacation.
The two qualities we most look for in a potential employee are a positive, cheerful attitude and the ability to be flexible.
The 2018 "open" Season runs from May 11 through October 3. Staff is also needed to assist with the "opening-up" and the "shut-down" of the facility in early May and mid to late October. Peak guest times are from mid-June to mid-August. It is important that you know your available start date and ending date of employment when you submit an Application for Employment. However, we always work with you to determine a positive "start" and "ending" date dependent upon school/college schedules.
(Please read through all the information provided before submitting the Employment Application.)
Seasonal full-time positions for River Point Outfitting Co. (canoe trip headquarters), and for the River Point Resort facility:
Canoe Outfitting Staff & Resort Facilities Maintenance Staff: Varied shifts.
Canoe Outfitting Staff: Greeting guests. Providing Trip Orientation and Routing Sessions with guests prior to their canoe trips Due to high guest interaction, an outgoing personality is a huge plus in this task, and knowledge of canoeing/camping/fishing techniques is essential. Training will occur for employees to gain knowledge of the various canoeing routes. Responsibilities include packing and unpacking gear for trips, packing fresh and freeze-dried food into food packs according to customer menu choices; keeping inventory of perishables and consumables; provide ordering of perishables and consumables to management; maintenance of equipment and canoes, canoe repair, washing of packs, life jackets, sleeping bags and other gear, and daily tiding and general cleaning of the outfitting base and guest bathrooms. Other tasks include loading/unloading canoes on and off vans, loading/unloading gear and packs and driving River Point's vans to and from the various entry/exit points in the wilderness. Assisting guests with unloading and loading of equipment at the landings. Must have a valid DL with good driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Persons employed for the Resort Maintenance Staff and Canoe Outfitting Staff will perform duties and responsibilities in both areas.
- Canoe Guides: Provide guided day trips into the Boundary Waters with a shore lunch. Focus of the day trip may be on fishing, and if so, then a practical knowledge of how to catch and clean fish is necessary. River Point does encourage "catch and release". Or, the focus of the day trip may simply be to enjoy the amazing scenery, the peacefulness of the wilderness, the wildlife, and for photography. Prior to being a guide, one must be familiar with the various entry points and routes near River Point and will need to devote time in learning by going on trips on your days off, as well as with other staff who you will "shadow." Especially important is being able to easily converse with the guests and to have a working knowledge of the Boundary Waters to share with them. Must have a valid driver's license with a good driver's license, and able to pass a 75 lb lift test.
Resort Maintenance Staff: Varied shifts. Responsible for daily upkeep and general cleanliness of marina and two fish-houses. Perform bait/tackle/fuel sales. Maintain an accurate, neat guest sales charge book, cleaning and servicing boats and motors, locators, trolling motors, and helping guests with fishing information. Additional duties include daily trash pick-up, fish cans drop-off, wood chopping, wood/kindling delivery to units, minor repairs of waterfront and maintenance equipment, performing minor repairs in and around lodging accommodations, mowing and raking of lawn, watering garden plants, sweeping walk-ways and dock area, brush and limb removal, and other duties, as needed. Previous boat handling experience and basic outboard maintenance knowledge desired. Basic construction knowledge very desirable. Must have a valid DL with good driving record and be able to pass a 75 lbs lift test. Persons employed for the Canoe Outfitting Staff and the Resort Maintenance Staff will perform duties and responsibilities in both areas.
- Birch Lake Boat and Motor Guides: All guide positions for the 2018 season have been filled.
Housekeeping & Laundry Staff/Wildwood Lodge Staff: Varied shifts as part of a team of housekeepers, laundry and lodge staff. Some employees may perform housekeeping, laundry, and lodge duties; some may perform only housekeeping and laundry duties. For those seeking credits and/or a degree in Hospitality and Management, knowing and having had experience relative to providing the most important areas in guest comfort is essential. Your experience at River Point will provide an effective foundation for future employment in this field, and its all done in an upbeat, fun setting at the lake. And, for anyone seeking future employment in any line of work, the background knowledge learned from performing various tasks in this area is invaluable
Housekeeping & Laundry Staff: Responsibilities include housekeeping of rental accommodations, main lodge, offices, bunkhouses. Dependability, being punctual and timely, and having a sense for the details is essential. A good conscientious work ethic with pride in cleanliness is valued. Shadowing other staff persons will occur. Must also be self-directed, as some housekeeping will occur on an individual basis. Laundry duties includes managing the washing and drying of linens, toweling, carpets, etc. Folding of the linens and preparation for housekeepers are also tasks involved in this position. Following specific directions for sanitizing laundry and proper care of linens is vital. Small mending tasks may also arise. Previous housekeeping/laundry experience is a plus, but certainly not a requirement. Instruction and guidance will be offered. Must have a valid DL with good driving record.
- Wildwood Lodge Staff: Varied shifts. Lodge is typically open from 9:30 am-5:00 pm or 9:30 am-8:00 pm daily, dependent upon demand. Easy cash register transactions and charges for guests occur in the gift shop and the snack and beverage bar where items such as ice cream and pizzas are sold. (Must be 18 years old to perform beer sales in the lodge.) Required to manage effectively the guest charge book and to keep store displays stocked, clean and orderly. Maintain a clean lodge and public bathroom facilities; assist guests with general questions, directions, sign-ups for programs, etc.; follow the "opening" and "closing" procedures for the lodge. Being cheerful and energetic when assisting guests and customers is appreciated. Must be self-directive and look for tasks to complete in the supervision of the Lodge. Completely outfitted canoeing guests are provided with a continental type breakfast the morning of the first day of their canoe trip. Lodge staff will prepare and serve the breakfast and interact with the canoeing guests who are so excited to begin their adventure...so, it is always a fun breakfast time. Training will occur for this task and others tasks.
- Office Staff: Varied shifts. Assisting in routine and specialized office tasks. Pleasant phone skills, and competent computer skills are needed. Functioning knowledge of some web design background is a plus. Must be professional, trustworthy, and detail orientated. Other responsibilities include greeting guests, check-in and check-out procedures, providing tours of the facility, operating copy machines, creating signage, bulletins, memos, performing mailings of brochures, etc.
Communications/Social Media & Website: Being familiar with Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, and Pinterest, is great. If not all, then some of the Social Media. A degree in Communications, or similar field while not mandatory, is appreciated. Must be proficient in Windows Operating Systems, Word and Outlook. If knowledgeable in Website Creation using Word Press and SEO (optimization) of website pages, please share this. Must be able to do a variety of tasks assoication with marketing and advertising. Instruction and guidance will be offered. Knowledge of capturing onsite video and images to create potential YouTube videos reflective of resorting and canoeing outfitting is important. Please advise if you have this skill set.
Gardening/Groundskeeping Staff: Varied shifts; full time if combined with other positions. Responsible for planting, fertilizing, watering, bush/hedge trimming, weed abatement, and mowing lawn. Knowledge of tree removal is helpful. Must have a valid DL with good driving record and must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
Note: You may be hired for a position, but often, there is overlapping between the duties that each Team Member at River Point performs. For example, it is not that unusual for a Canoe Outfitting/Resort Maintenance Staff person to perform housekeeping duties, particularly on Saturdays which is the typical resort industry "turn-over" day, as well as the duties described in the category for canoe outfitting/resort maintenance. That is the nature of resorting and canoe outfitting and it makes for a great team effort whereby everyone knows each other.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The use of drugs and any underage use of liquor is not tolerated. Drivers of vehicles must be willing to submit to random drug testing.
Between the resort and outfitting businesses, River Point employs team members who come from all over the US to serve several thousand customers during the season. The majority of staff are seasonal full-time team members; limited few are part-time.
Working together with a positive attitude and flexibility is appreciated. You will receive cross training for most positions at the River Point operation, and will be expected to help out where and when it is needed. You must be willing, if the need arises, to perform a variety of tasks. This will provide you with variety in your daily routine, too. We look for versatility in our employees and build upon the strengths of each person, and all pitch in to get the necessary tasks done.
Application Process for Employment Opportunities:
Interested applicants should send the following materials to River Point via e-mail email@example.com or snail mail to: PO Box 397, Ely, MN 55731
brief letter of introduction (including US mailing address)
- Application for Employment
Please submit the first two requested items listed above, and then
Fill out an Application for Employment.
Applications are processed as they are received. A subsequent personal interview will be scheduled upon receipt of the Application for Employment. Effort to make arrangements for a personal interview at River Point is extremely important. Phone interviews are not quite as effective for either the applicant or the employer, but will be acceptable if an "in-person" interview is not feasible.
If you are in Ely, please call to set up an appointment to receive an Application for Employment and for a personal interview.
If a position is offered, the applicant will be notified in person, by phone, or letter. The applicant must indicate to River Point that they WILL or WILL NOT accept the employment offer within three days of their receipt of the offer.
- As a Forest Service Cooperator, River Point Outfitting Co. is an equal employment opportunity service provider, dedicated to the policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis, which is prohibited by any applicable law including sex, race, color, age, religion, disability, martial status, or national origin.
Employees must secure their own housing. However, River Point will happily help and make suggestions. Employment in the Ely area is generally quite easy to attain.
It is advisable that River Point employees have their own vehicle, as Ely is 8.5 miles, or approximately 10 minutes away (black-top highway). Grocery stores, banks, etc. are in Ely. At times, some employees may not have a private vehicle and must secure transportation from other employees.
The first few days of your new job will include an in-depth orientation to many facets of what you will be doing. After the initial orientation process, you will shadow another employee as part of this on-the-job training for some time. Learning new aspects of your job will occur very quickly, as it is our goal to acclimate you to your surroundings and responsibilities as rapidly as possible. We are always open to questions and clarifications and readily will help out.
Employee must wear a River Point Resort & Outfitting Co. staff shirt. Shirts and caps, may be purchased at a discounted price from a huge selection at River Point's Wolf Den Gift Shop. The River Point shirt must be clean, neat, and worn when on-duty. Jeans, shorts, pants, slacks in the colors of dark green, tan, brown, navy, shades of blue, white, beige, black are preferred. Employees may be expected to wear staff pants/shorts. Only a River Point hat may be worn when on duty.
Clothing should be clean, neat, without tears, holes, ragged edges, etc. River Point is a service business. Thus, it is expected that employees are well-groomed, clean, and dressed neatly. Dirty, severely wrinkled clothing is not acceptable.
Hair should be clean and cut/trimmed at regular intervals to maintain a service-orientated look.
Laundromats are available at River Point for a fee, as well as in Ely.
- Working and playing in the wonderful beauty of the great outdoors of northern Minnesota with direct paddle access to the BWCA. Fabulous clean air, granite cliffs, hiking the River Point "Trail of Reflections", fishing, swimming, and just plain having a great time.
- FREE use of waterfront equipment (canoes, kayaks, 16' boats, 9.9 and 15 hp motors)
- Benefit of working in a close-knit team atmosphere with other employees who have similar interests.
- Employee discount on clothing and gift items from the Wolf Den Gift Shop. Great shopping for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, and just "for fun."
- Benefit of networking with hundreds of guests for future employment contacts and other endeavors.
If you would like to spend your spring, summer, and early fall in the awesome beauty of the North Woods of Minnesota, then employment at River Point may be for you! Referrals from past employees are available. Just ask!
Thank you for your interest in joining the River Point team!
River Point Resort & Outfitting Co.
Jane & Steve Koschak
PO Box 397, 12007 River Point Road, Ely, MN 55731
Phone: (218) 365-6604
Fax: (218) 365-6139
River Point Outfitting website: www.elyoutfitters.com
Paddle the Quiet Side®
River Point Outfitting Co. Ely Outfitters™
Copyright ©2001 - 2018 River Point Outfitting Co.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED